11 October 2013

Points, Pounds, and Prose

Let the counting begin!

It’s now my fifth day on Weight Watchers. I did it once before, about three or four years ago, with great results. I don’t quite remember how many pounds I lost at the time, but I remember how much I gained back. I mostly blame my job. I don’t think I should mention where exactly I work, but I’ll say it’s in a restaurant that has very fattening food and even worse desserts. And by worse I mean delicious. And I have absolutely no will power. So I’ve gained roughly 30 pounds working there, despite the fact that it’s such a physically demanding job that I should literally be working my ass off.

I only quit WW before because I was unemployed and couldn’t afford to keep going to meetings or buy all the fruits and veggies that you’re required to eat. Let’s face it, the foods that are bad for you are also the cheapest. But since I’ve recently come in to some money, I figured a great way to spend some of it would be to better myself.

It’s a lot of work. But since I think I’m pretty fixated on food, it’s a good program for me. You have to keep track of what you’re eating, making healthier choices and getting in specific servings of fruits and veggies, dairy, etc. And I’m taking vitamins. If I could only get myself to floss…

Something else I’ve been thinking a lot about lately is word count! In order to win NaNoWriMo, your novel has to meet at least 50,000 words. I haven’t quite mapped out a schedule yet, and it will probably be hard to do so since I get my work schedule less than a week before it begins. So it’ll probably be a day by day process. But I have begun mapping out my novel. I’m even finally breaking in my free trial of Scrivener. We’ll see how it all goes.

I thought I’d reveal something about my NaNo book with every blog post until November 1, when I’ll post my synopsis on my page there (I’m still fine tuning it, actually). Something that I’ll have to use in this particular story that I’ve never used before are flashbacks. There are some details about my protagonist that while they aren’t essential for the plot line itself, they are necessary in order to understand the character and his situation. Like, if I left these things unanswered, the reader would be confused. They’d want answers. But I think flashbacks can be tricky. Certainly I’ve alluded to the past with other stories before, but that’s usually not more than a few sentences. For this particular book, I’ll have to include whole scenes of flashbacks.

I’ll probably be able to write more on the subject of flashbacks once I actually write them. I do think you have to find a good balance, not overdoing it and finding the right spot to include each one. The flashback should be relevant to what’s happening in the present.

Oh! I almost forgot! If you want to be buddies on the NaNoWriMo site, check out my page here (which I promise to develop more): http://nanowrimo.org/participants/sarahafoster

5 comments:

  1. I'm quite a fan of flashbacks, done well. Best of luck with NanoWriMo and with WW! There should be a law against delicious, sinful food being the cheapest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. And thanks! We'll see how I do with flashbacks. I've never really done them before.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with WW! In January of this year, I had become so tired of not being able to lose weight that I finally went to go see a nutritionist. She helped create a plan for me that was completely workable - no special foods to eat, etc., just watching carbs, protein, etc., and measuring my portions. I've lost a lot just by changing my eating habits. I allow myself a "dessert day" every week to have a favorite treat and that seems to work well, too.

    Good luck with NaNo! I haven't tried to do NaNo for years - just don't have the time for it. January would be a better month for me - no holidays and just a long, dreary winter month. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WW is great because you have to watch your portions and it also focuses on carbs, protein, fat, & fiber--not calories. I've tried calorie counting and it just never works.

      This is my first time trying NaNo so I'm really excited!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the new diet. Keeping your body in shape will help with the writing too.

    It's important to stick to a schedule when writing. I'm planning on doing a lot of it early in the morning, when nothing can come up. As long as you don't have to work random night shifts... :)

    ReplyDelete