04 January 2016

Jordan Takes Over: New Year's Whatever

**The first Monday of every month, I let my muse take over the blog. I apologize in advance.**

First of all, I'd just like to point out that the last post on this blog was my post from last month, so that means Sarah is slacking off more than me. Let's all just keep that in mind the next time she yells at me.

Anyway, so it's a whole new year or something. Big freaking deal. People do the same thing every year, they say how they're going to change everything about their lives and do so much better and then two weeks later everything is back to normal. It's so lame. You know I hate lame things. What is it about a new year that makes suddenly makes people go all psycho?

I've never had a resolution. Well, mostly because I'm perfect. But that's not the point. Actually, it's really because if I want to do something, I just do it. I don't need that extra push of motivation that a new year supposedly brings. Ok, so maybe that isn't the best advice to give to everyone. Doing and getting the things you want doesn't always come easy. I'm not saying it's always easy for me, either. But sometimes trying to get those things and figuring out how to get them can be half the fun. But somehow people spend most of their time making excuses and not actually trying to do the things they want.

So let's say you've got something you want to get done. You want to read more or write more or lose weight or exercise or ask out that really hot guy in your music theory class (wait, what?). You have to ask yourself what's really stopping you from doing it and I guarantee that it's not the time of year. Like you've been telling yourself, oh, it's December, I can't start anything new in December. Well, why the hell not???? You just wasted a whole month where you could have been doing that thing you want to do! So you're still not writing and you're still fat and you're still not getting laid.

You know what else is super phony? The whole new year's motivation never lasts. Sure, you may have a few weeks where you'll actually feel productive and you really think it's gonna last forever, but it'll wear off. So why do people pretend that every new year is suddenly going to be different from all the previous ones?

This is what I want you to do. Stop giving a crap about what time of year it is. I'm serious. No lame excuses. If you want to do something, just do it already. If you need to think think about why it's so difficult for you to motivate yourself, then do that first. But stop relying on the beginning of the year to motivate you. January is sick of your bullshit.

JP

7 comments:

  1. Oh Jordan, I always love your posts. And I'm slightly (maybe totally) guilty of this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so true. We can start something new any month, any day, any time. I think it's the newness and promise of a new year that gets us motivated to do new things, although it is just a normal day like any other. And most often, nothing changes, not even if we have a goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so true. We can start something new any month, any day, any time. I think it's the newness and promise of a new year that gets us motivated to do new things, although it is just a normal day like any other. And most often, nothing changes, not even if we have a goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I understand why I don't make resolutions. I'm perfect! Please don't let anyone read this comment. Have a great year, Muse. Stay perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's got a point. Why can't we start something new in December?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I've already done giving a crap what time of year it is. =P I don't do resolutions either. Seems pointless. I make goals of crap I'd like to get done for the year, but then I forget what I said and it ends up being pure luck I get the goals done (true story.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Preach!

    We shouldn't live a year at a time anyway!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete